The first shovels are in the ground for a 50-unit housing development designed to help people with care needs to live independently.

The new Ashbrow extra care scheme will consist of 50 high quality one- and two-bed apartments for tenants with care and support needs, as well as a range of communal facilities. It will be owned and managed by Kirklees Council. The scheme is being constructed by Equans Regeneration on behalf of the council.

Extra care housing enables older people to live independently for longer, in self-contained apartments, and at the same time to access the levels of care and support that they require. Extra care housing also helps to reduce social isolation by enabling people to remain as part of an active community. Extra care developments are domestic in character while still offering state of the art facilities to ensure that tenants are provided with the highest level of care and support.

The Ashbrow extra care scheme forms part of a wider housing development which comprises a further 111 two-, three- and four-bedroom homes that are being constructed by Keepmoat Homes. Of these homes, 98 will be for market sale and 13 will be affordable homes. The extra care scheme is due to be completed in autumn 2024.

Keepmoat are also delivering 10 homes under the ‘First Homes’ pilot scheme in partnership with Homes England and Kirklees Council. The ‘First Homes’ open up further affordable new homes to the local community as they are sold at 70% of the open market value with Homes England funding the remaining 30%.

Councillor Graham Turner, Cabinet member for Growth & Regeneration, says:

“I’m pleased to see this new development delivering a much-needed extra care scheme for Kirklees residents. Kirklees Council is working with housing developers on this scheme and will ensure the development reflects the needs of our local communities whilst helping to achieve market demand is met for new homes on a local and national level.  Extra care homes are an important part of our housing strategy, ensuring we have homes and accommodation for residents of all ages allowing them to live independently longer.”

Councillor Cathy Scott, Cabinet Member for Housing & Democracy, says:

“The new Ashbrow extra care scheme will provide high quality housing for older people who require additional care and support to live independently for longer in their own home. Schemes like this are essential in supporting Kirklees residents, and I look forward to seeing the development progress.”

Haydn Tomlinson, Land & Partnerships Manager at Keepmoat Homes, says:

“Keepmoat Homes are delighted to be delivering this development in partnership with Kirklees Council, this multi-tenure development will offer much needed, new affordable homes for a wide range of local people. The new homes, extra care facility and green open spaces throughout, will add to the rich character of the local area.”

Sean Corcoran, Regional Director at Equans, says:

“We are delighted to be working with our partners to create these much-needed new homes in Kirklees, which will enable residents to live independently in their community, with the security of care and support on site as and when they need it. Extra care schemes always prove popular with local people, and I’m sure this development will be no different.”